As part of our commitment to the community, WLIW-FM may donate air-time for public service announcements (PSAs), as time allows during our local broadcasts. PSA scripts are written by the organization requesting the announcement (script subject to WLIW-FM’s approval) and may be read on-air by WLIW-FM announcers.
Timing, placement, and frequency of a PSA is at the sole discretion of WLIW-FM. WLIW-FM cannot guarantee that it will air PSAs. If you would like to have your announcement read during specific times, please contact us about paid announcements and other sponsorship opportunities or call 631-591-7020.
While we consider all eligible PSA submissions, WLIW-FM reserves the right to reject any announcements. WLIW-FM cannot guarantee that a submitted PSA will be approved and/or aired.
If you are interested in submitting a PSA request, please read and follow the guidelines below.
- PSAs are open ONLY to non-profit organizations that publicize events, services, or volunteer activities. Priority will be given to non-profit organizations that are local to and benefit the Eastern Long Island community.
- WLIW-FM does NOT accept PSAs for any candidate campaigning for public office.
PSA Content Rules
- Your PSA script, as read aloud, must be no longer than 30-seconds.
- PSAs should state only facts and contain only value-neutral wording, such as:
- Location information
- A phone number or website address as long as it is used to identify the event or organization
- A value neutral description of the organization’s services or events (e.g. day, date, and time of the event, location of the event)
- PSAs may NOT include the following:
- Calls to action (e.g. “for more information, call…”, “come on down to…”, “order now!”)
- Qualitative or comparative language about the organization, its products or services, or the event (e.g. “fast”, “excellent”, “trusted”, “voted #1”, “best”)
- Implicit comparisons or award or prize mentions (e.g. “There are times you don’t know who to trust. Trust XYZ Co.”, “Grammy award-winning”)
- Pricing information, including sales, discounts, interest rates, or any other indication of savings or value associated with a product, service, or event (e.g. “free”, “for 10% off”, “offering low rates”)
- Inducement to buy, sell, rent, or lease (e.g. “six months’ free service” or “special gift for the first 50 visitors”)
- Endorsements or testimonials
- Funding solicitations
- Final copy of your PSA script is subject to WLIW-FM approval. WLIW-FM may edit PSA copy, where necessary, to comply with these requirements, FCC regulations, and station policies.
This PSA does NOT follow PSA CONTENT RULES (prohibited items underlined and bolded):
THE ABC THEATER IS RAISING MONEY FOR THE LOCAL LIBRARY WITH A DRIVE-IN MOVIE EVENT ON JUNE 19th. THIS SUMMER’S MOVIE LINEUP INCLUDES YOUR FAVORITE OSCAR WINNING FILMS (qualitative) LIKE THE SHAPE OF WATER, JOJO RABBIT, LITTLE WOMEN, PARASITE, AND MORE. ADMISSION IS $30 PER CAR. (pricing information) GET YOUR SPOT BEFORE SPACE RUNS OUT. (inducement) RESERVE YOUR SPOT NOW (call to action) AT [website].
An acceptable version of the message may read:
THE ABC THEATER IS HOSTING A DRIVE-IN MOVIE EVENT ON JUNE 19th. THIS SUMMER’S MOVIE LINEUP INCLUDES THE SHAPE OF WATER, JOJO RABBIT, LITTLE WOMEN, PARASITE AND MORE. TICKETS AT [website]. SPACE IS LIMITED. PROCEEDS BENEFIT THE LOCAL LIBRARY.
Other examples of acceptable PSAs include:
OCTOBER IS ADOPT A SHELTER DOG MONTH. THE [LOCAL ANIMAL SHELTER] HAS INFORMATION ABOUT PET OWNERSHIP AND ADOPTION. LEARN MORE AT [website].
THE XYZ ARTS CENTER, A NON-PROFIT ORGANIZATION SUPPORTING LOCAL ARTISTS, PRESENTS THE PUBLIC ART PROJECT: AN OUTDOOR SCULPTURE AND ART INSTALLATION, ON VIEW BEGINNING OCTOBER 27TH. THE EXHIBIT IS OPEN TO THE PUBLIC. LEARN MORE AT ARTSCENTER.ORG.
Submitting a PSA Request
Please fill out and submit the PSA Request Form. PSAs for events must be submitted at least 4 weeks in advance of the event date.